Friday, April 29, 2016

Losing a Loved One to Dementia

A year ago on a Thursday afternoon my lovely mother passed away. This week I've been remembering her final days with a certain sadness. But, in actuality, we had been losing her for many years. Little by little and piece by piece she slipped away. It was such a gradual thing that there is no one day that I can point to and say, "this is when she left us." I remember how her memory loss frightened her so. In the early stages she was well aware of what was happening to her, and that made it even more painful to watch.


To those of you who are living in this difficult situation right now, I just want to give you a ((hug))! It is so difficult, frightening, and painfully sad to be the caregiver for someone with dementia - especially when it is someone you love. Feelings of frustration, inadequacy and guilt are a constant companion. I wish that I had some wise words to share with those of you who are dealing with this, but I don't think there are any pat answers for how to cope. All I know as I reflect back is how important it is to just love them, and do whatever it is that will give them some momentary pleasure or peace (even though it will be forgotten minutes later). I found this poem a while back, and wish to share it here. I'm sorry it's a little fuzzy - or maybe that's because of the tears in my eyes.


Till next time...
Journey on,

Gail

No comments:

Post a Comment