Thursday, March 14, 2013

Am I Irish?

St. Patrick's Day is coming this weekend, and I began to wonder, "Do I have a drop o' Irish blood in me? Three of my grandparents were very Scandinavian, but Grandma Edyth was a mystery. So when visiting with my Uncle Bill the other day, I asked if he knew what nationality(s) grandma was. Luckily he has done some research into her family so he had some information for me. He knew her to be mostly English, with some Scottish and Irish and perhaps a few others thrown in.  If I figure correctly that makes me 1/16 Irish at the very most. That's probably enough to be entitled to some delicious Irish Soda Bread! I found this recipe several years ago, and we have been enjoying it ever since.


IRISH SODA BREAD
3 C. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/3 C. white sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 C. buttermilk
1/4 C. butter or margarine, melted

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan. (I use a pie plate)
2. Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda. Blend egg and buttermilk, and add all at once to the flour mixture. Mix just until moistened. Stir in butter and incorporate well. Pour into prepared pan.
3. Bake for 65 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the bread comes out clean. Cool.

 
Give it a try this this St.Patrick's Day along with a big pot of Irish Stew and you'll be set. Pass the butter please!
 
Till next time...
Blessings,
 
Gail
 







No comments:

Post a Comment