Friday, November 16, 2012

CHRISTMAS STOCKINGS

When our kids were little my mom made Christmas stockings for them, and it was always special when we brought them out each year and hung them on the fireplace mantel. And so to carry on the tradition, I have made Christmas stockings for my grandchildren. The first ones - quite some years ago had a patchwork look to them and were trimmed in various buttons, lace, ric rac, etc.

And now I have two younger grandchildren, and so I needed to carry on the tradition. This first stocking was made for Cooper, and I took the pattern out of a quilting magazine. I thought it turned out pretty cute, and the snowman was appropriate for a little boy.




While on a Christmas Tour of Homes I spotted some white stockings with a fur cuff, and they were the inspiration for the stocking I made when Kennedy came along. When it came time to choose the fabric I made the decision to cut up my wedding dress. It seemed silly to just keep it in the closet never to be used again, and I had always loved the fabric. I love how it turned out, but it was difficult to get a picture of it because of how it reflected the light - probably time to learn how to use the different settings on my camers.




How-to Info: The satin brocade fabric in my wedding dress had yellowed over the years, so I took the chance and washed it using a RIT whitening product (don't remember the exact name). It worked wonderfully in getting rid of the yellowing, but it also seemed to take the body out of the fabric. I took care of that by using an iron-on interfacing. To line it I use pink satin, and found a fur-like fabric to use for the cuff. The rhinestone 'k' I found on a key-ring and attached it to the stocking with a pearl button. If you need specific instructions on constructing a lined stocking, I'm sure you can easily find one on the internet.

Now, what am I going to do with the rest of that fabric?

Till next time...
Blessings,

Gail

No comments:

Post a Comment