Monday, February 4, 2013

Hello Dolly

Do you remember Storybook Dolls? When I was a girl they were "the collectible." They were small dolls, 5 1/2 inches tall that were dressed in costume. There were nursery rhyme characters, movie characters, period costumes, and costumes from different countries. The two that survived my childhood seem to just be wearing pretty dresses - I don't think they represent anything specific. After years of being hidden away in a box, they found their way to a larger display of dolls (we'll visit the others another day). But recently I decided they needed to go out on their own.

My favorite is wearing a peach brocade gown with ribbon and lace trim, and both doll and dress are in excellent condition. She looks ready to go to a party!
 
.
The dress on her friend is not quite as fancy - it's red tulle over satin and trimmed with white lace. The red of her dress has faded over the years so isn't as vibrant as it once was.

They wanted to get together for a chat before going back to their respective places!

My childhood neighbor/friend had a large collection of storybook dolls that represented different countries. I remember admiring them as they were displayed in the family living room. I don't recall that we ever got to play with them, however. Where do you suppose they are now?

Till next time...
Blessings,

Gail


No comments:

Post a Comment