Saturday, May 11, 2013

My Mom

I will wish my mom a Happy Mother's Day knowing that a few minutes later she will not remember that it is Mother's Day, nor will she remember that I had been there when she closes her eyes at the end of the day. The gift of a visit is the best choice - flowers may brighten her room for a few days, but she won't know where they came from and food is not an option as she is on a very limited diet. It's hard to find clothes that work for her, but a pretty nightgown or new slippers are always useful and she still likes pretty things.

 
My mom has slipped away from us slowly over the last several years, and it is a sad thing to watch. But I am so thankful that she knows me and always asks about my family. She may have a fleeting moment of sadness thinking she has not seen them for 'so long' even though they might have just been there earlier in the week. I am thankful we are able to have conversations about the distant past as that is still fairly clear in her memory. I am thankful for those who care for her on a daily basis - for their patience in reminding her of things, answering the same questions often, and lovingly dealing with her independent nature. I am thankful that she seems content.


Most of all I am thankful for the memories of all the times we have had together, and for all the ways she has shown her love for me. I don't remember her saying it much, but I've never doubted that she loved me and wanted the best for me. I think that's the best gift we as mothers can give our children.

Have a wonderful weekend my friends, and to those of you who are mothers, Happy Mother's Day!

Till next time...
Blessings,

Gail


No comments:

Post a Comment