Thursday, May 9, 2013

Who Would I Be?

I just recently watched the movie "The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel" and found it to be a delightful story. The movie promo reads - The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel follows a group of British retirees who decide to "outsource" their retirement to less expensive and seemingly exotic India. Enticed by advertisements for the newly restored Marigold Hotel and bolstered with visions of a life of leisure, they arrive to find the palace a shell of its former self. Though the new environment is less luxurious than imagined, they are forever transformed by their shared experiences, discovering that life and love can begin again when you let go of the past.


Watching the story unfold raised some questions in my mind. If I were transplanted, for whatever reason, all alone into another country and culture...
  • how well would I adapt to my different surroundings?
  • would I be able to learn to communicate in another language?
  • how would I deal with meeting all new people? 
  • since none of the other people would know anything about me, would I be able to step out and be that person I've always wanted to be? or would I still be the same "me?" 
  • would I maintain the morals and values that I hold here in this place - in our society?
None of these questions have answers, of course; but it does provide the opportunity to do a bit of dreaming and soul searching. If you haven't seen this movie, I would suggest you track it down and give it a go - let me know what you think.

Till next time...
Blessings,

Gail

No comments:

Post a Comment