Sunday, December 23, 2012

PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE

I had not planned to post again until after Christmas, but sometimes a story just jumps out at you and demands to be told... NOW!


In 1982 I received a copy of the Dalesburg Lutheran Church Cookbook as a birthday gift from my mother-in-law. I know that because she wrote a birthday greeting for me on the inside of the cover as well as the year. This morning I picked up that old, beat up and spattered cookbook to find the Peanut Butter Fudge recipe that I use. I found it on page 286, but I also found a surprise...



When looking through cookbooks I would always make a star by recipes that I thought looked like something I would like to try making - there was a star. And then I would follow up with the date I tried it and how I liked it - this one said Good!  But it was the date that prompted  this story - it was dated 12/23/82. Thirty years ago today I made this fudge for the first time, and it has been a Christmas family favorite every year since. Isn't it amazing that I'm making the fudge today, that I even noticed the date? It all makes me smile... and share the story.

I am including the recipe. I like to use chunky peanut butter, I stir it while it is boiling the 5 minutes, and I put it in a smaller pan so that it is a little thicker.

PEANUT BUTTER FUDGE
3/4 c. butter
2/3 c. evaporated milk 
3 c. sugar 
Boil for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and add:
1 c. peanut butter
1 c. marshmallow creme 
1 tsp. vanilla.
Spread in a 9x13 pan.
May your Christmas celebration be as sweet as my Peanut Butter Fudge!





Till next time...
Christmas blessings,
Gail

No comments:

Post a Comment