Monday, December 3, 2012

RECIPE FOR YUMMY MEMORIES

As I was looking through my recipe box for my Spritz Cookie recipe, I was struck again by how many wonderful memories are tucked in there. I'm all in favor of printing recipes out on sheets of paper and organizing them in a binder for quick retrieval, BUT that process will never produce the fuzzy, warm feelings that pop out of my old recipe box!


My Spritz Cookie as well as a wonderful Moist Oatmeal Cookie recipe came from Fern V, an old neighbor and friend. There are several that came from gals who were co-workers and are still friends - Phyllis T's Sour Cream Raisin Bars, Linda A's Oatmeal Bars, and Edna F's Almond Sugar Cookies. I spotted a Marshmallow Nut Bar recipe from Marlene T, a wonderful neighbor from when our children were small. Then there are the sugar cookies that call for brown sugar from Delores C. that I call State 'B' Cookies because she brought them to the State 'B' Basketball Tournament many years ago, and we loved them. And these are just a few from the Cookies Section.


Of course there are many that came from my mother and mother-in-law - from back when they were trying to help me with my kitchen/homemaking skills. But it's not just the memory of who the recipes came from, but when they were made and served.  For example the Cut-Out Sugar Cookie recipe brings back the memory of making heart-shaped cookies for our oldest daughte'rs whole class when she was in 1st or 2nd grade. She dropped them all on the way to school. I'm not sure which one of us shed more tears over that episode, but it brings a smile to my face whenever I run across that recipe.

So, I plan to hang on to the old, spotted and yellowed recipe cards in my box even if I re-type them to make a handy dandy 3-ring binder recipe book. I have seen it suggested to frame recipe cards that are written in your mothers or grandmothers handwriting... I might have to work on that project.

Until next time...

Blessings,
Gail

No comments:

Post a Comment